- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 50g/2oz pre-soaked pearl barley
- 200g/4oz peas
- 200g/7oz skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1lt/4 cups chicken stock/broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Low cal cooking oil spray
- Preheat the slow cooker while you prepare the ingredients.
- Gently sauté the leeks & garlic in a little low cal oil for a few minutes until the leeks soften. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Combine well, cover and leave to cook on high for 1½-2 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and the barley is tender. Season and serve.
- This soup can be blended if you wish or served just as it comes.