- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, sliced lengthways
- 200g/7oz skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1lt/4 cups chicken stock/broth
- 200g/7oz basmati rice
- 60ml/¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp dried basil or chives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Low cal cooking oil spray
- Preheat the slow cooker while you prepare the ingredients.
- Gently sauté the onion & garlic in a little low cal oil for a few minutes until the onions soften. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, except the orange juice. Combine well, cover and leave to cook on high for 1½-2 hours or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove 2 ladles of soup and use a blender to blend this to a smooth consistency. Return the blended portion to the rest of the soup. Add the orange juice, combine well, season and serve.
- Freshly chopped chives make a great garnish for this soup.