- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g/1lb fish bones, heads carcasses etc (avoid oily fish when making stock)
- 4 leeks, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 250ml/1 cup dry white wine
- 2.5lt/10 cups water
- Gently sauté the carrots, leeks and fennel in the olive oil for a few minutes in a large lidded saucepan.
- Clean the fish bones to ensure there is no blood as this can ‘spoil’ the stock. Add all the other ingredients, cover and bring to the boil. Leave to very gently simmer for 1hr with the lid on.
- Allow to cool for a little while. Pour the contents through a sieve and store the finished stock liquid in the fridge for a couple of days or freeze in batches. You may find you need to skim a little fat from the top of the stock after cooking.